Where do you obtain the books you review?
Most of the books I review were bought by myself or friends and family. I do accept copies of books through tour hosts such as Xpresso Books or direct from authors and publishers. I also request some books through Netgalley and win others from online giveaways.
Whenever I receive a review copy for free, I will include a disclaimer that informs my readers of this. How I obtained a particular book will never affect my review; I will always post my honest opinions.
Do you accept payment for reviews?
No, and I will never do so. Occasionally an author or publisher may send me book-related ‘swag’ such as bookmarks or badges, but this will never influence the contents of my review.
What do you do with ARCs once you’re finished with them?
After finishing an ARC, I either pass it onto a friend or family member or send it to another book blogger.
Which genres do you review?
Which book formats do you accept?
- .mobi (Kindle)
What criteria do you use to review?
Book reviews are based on my personal thoughts and opinions. The criteria I use to write my reviews are:
- Plot (believability, hooks, suspense, pace)
- Characters (likeability, realism, relationships, diversity)
- Language and Style
- Emotional Response
- Meaning (feminist and other socio-political interpretations)
- Continuity (how it compares to prequels/sequels)
What is your rating system?
Where do you publish your reviews?
I publish book reviews here on Dusting the Soul, on Goodreads and on Amazon UK. Links to my reviews are published on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. I will post to other websites on request.
What happens if you don’t like a book you are reviewing?
How do I request a book review?
- Book title and author
- Publisher and publish date
- Number of pages
- Formats available
- Prefered date for posting the review (please allow at least 2 weeks)
Things you should know
- If you address me by my name (Tizzy) and show that you have looked at my blog and read my review policy I’m much more likely to accept.
- I get so many review requests that I’m sometimes unable to respond to them all. If you haven’t heard from me within a week I am probably too busy to review your book or the synopsis doesn’t appeal to me.
- Please be mindful of the fact that this is my hobby and I have a full-time job and a young daughter that have to come first. That means I can’t read and review your book in a couple of days and I may not reply to your email straight away.
- If I do accept your request, I will agree with you a timescale for publishing my review and discuss where I will publish it. If I don’t receive the book in time I will reschedule the review.
- I reserve the right to express my opinion about the book honestly. Please treat me with respect.
- Although I always try to complete reviews, I am not obligated to post the review at all, especially if I didn’t enjoy it or didn’t finish it.