Today is the tenth day of the A-Z Blogging Challenge. As you probably know by now, I’m doing an A-Z of human emotions, feelings and mental states.Today is the letter J and what better emotion to focus on than Joy?
Joy is one of the purest, most uplifting emotions. It isn’t clouded by any other states, it’s refreshingly simple. True joy can be hard to come by sometimes. It’s different to an overall feeling of happiness and contentment- it’s the kind of strong delight or elation that can make us laugh or cry.
I got to thinking about what makes me feel genuinely joyful, instead of just happy, and I came up with the following list:
- Sunshine! Warm rays of sunlight never fail to brighten my spirits
- Having a laugh with friends. My friends all have a great sense of humour and when we get together I am often overwhelmed with hilarity.
- Spending time with M-going out for the day or watching films and playing games together
- Playing games with my family. Board games are always a hilarious affair at my Dad’s house, especially if Grandma is there because she’s not a good loser.
- Being surrounded by animals. I’m only truly happy when I have pets bursting out of every nook and cranny of my house. They’re just so soft and furry and cute!
- Sweet foods like chocolate, toffee desserts and ice cream induce a state of complete bliss.
- Dancing. I feel full of energy when I dance and it leaves me with such a feel-good buzz.
- Suprising someone. I love giving gifts to people or making their day by suprising them.
- Achieving things. Getting good results and recognition for my hard work really makes me happy. It’s nice feeling that I’ve been really productive.
- Feeling lucky after winning something
- Being cAreative
- Being on holiday. I love travelling and visiting new places (especially if I can get some sun while I’m at it). I love the feeling that when you’re on holiday you can have long lie ins, eat what you like and generally break all the normal ‘rules’ you set yourself. You also get to hang out with the people you love and reconnect away from the pressures of work and perhaps family.
- My favourite old films like Singin’ In the Rain, The Sound of Music, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Bedknobs and Broomstick always put me in a great mood.
- Opening presents!
- Learning something new and really interesting
- Swimming in a fun pool with waterfalls, slides and other kid stuff.
- Reading page-turner that I just can’t put down, all alone with a torch under the covers
- I love watching old comedy shows like Faulty Towers and Monty Python.
- Feel good music- I love it loud and proud with plenty of guitar riffs, belting vocals, drum solos and maybe a sexy saxaphone thrown in. Oh yeah. Cheesy 70s and 80s pop is also a winner. Some of my favourite feel-good tracks are Good Vibrations, Build Me Up Buttercup, Walking on Sunshine, Heaven is a Place on Earth, I Got You (I feel good), Summer of ’69, Give It Up, Pack Up (Eliza Doolittle), Just the Way You Are and Marry You (Bruno Mars), More than a Feeling and Here I go Again.
Well, there you have it. What makes you joyful?