Okay, so I’m definately not a domestic goddess and I usually struggle with the most basic culinary tasks, but I’ve finally found my baking niche-cupcakes! I have a great book of cupcake recipes and my Mum got me a mini cupcake maker for Christmas. It’s a bit like a sandwich toaster and you can just mix up your batter, pour it in, close the lid, wait about ten minutes and hey presto, perfect mini cupcakes.
Yesterday I tried it out for the first time by baking some Valentine’s Day cupcakes and this was the result. The icing came out a bit messy but that’s my style and they tasted absolutely scrummy. If you want to have a go yourself, here’s the recipe I followed:
Mini Valentine’s Cupcakes (makes about 18 mini cupcakes)
Ingredients for cake mix:
125g (4 1/2 oz) softened butter
125g (4 1/2 oz) caster sugar
2 medium eggs
125g (4 1/2 oz) self raising flour
2 tbsp milk
Ingredients for buttercream icing:
175g (6 oz) softened butter
350g (12 1/2 oz) icing sugar
Few drops of vanilla extract
Few drops of pink food colouring
3 tbsp of boiling water
Pretty sprinkles to decorate
1 large mixing bowl (for cake mix)
1 small mixing bowl (for topping)
2 x wooden or plastic spoons
Non stick mini cupcake moulds/mini cupcake maker
1) Beat together the butter and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy/
2) Add the eggs, flour and milk to the bowl and beat until the mixture is smooth.
3) Pour into the mini cupcake moulds but not right to the top as the mixture will rise.
4) Bake in the oven at 200 degrees for about ten minutes (or in mini cupcake maker for time specified) or until golden brown.
5) Meanwhile mix together the butter and icing sugar for the topping and add the boiling water and vanilla extract and a few drops of pink food coloring.
6) Beat together until the icing is very smooth and pale in colour.
7) Leave the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack then place in mini cupcake paper cases.
8) Cut a circle from the top of each cupcake and slice the circle in half. Put a dollop of buttercream icing in the centre of each cupcake, then place the two halves of sponge on the top like wings.
9) Decorate with sprinkles and enjoy!