Soap making is one of my favourite hobbies, and recently I decided to mix things up by creating some soap cupcakes for my friend’s birthday. I made them mostly using ingredients from my kitchen cupboard with a few cosmetic ingredients like melt and pour soap base, cosmetic colourants and fragrances.
Some great websites for buying soap making supplies are:
Ingredients and Equipment
- Melt and pour soap base, grated (opaque looks best)
- Cosmetic colourants (yellow/brown for the base and pink or white for the frosting).
- Cosmetic fragrance oil (vanilla or chocolate for the base and something fruity for the frosting)
- Silicone cupcake cases/muffin tray
- Baking soda
- Citric acid
- Coconut oil
- Bath crystals/mineral salts
- Pretty cupcake cases
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon/whisk
- Spatula/frosting piper
1) Melt the soap base in the microwave for about 30 seconds or on the hob until it has melted into a liquid.
2) Quickly put in a couple of drops of yellow/brown colour and a couple of drops of vanilla or chocolate fragrance oil and stir well. If it starts to set, melt it again.
3) Pour the mixture into the cupcake cases/muffin tray, right to the top.
4) Leave to stand somewhere cool for about an hour or so (the longer you leave it the harder it will be)
5) When it is completely solid, gently turn it upside down and press it until the soap falls out, and you have your cupcake base.
6) Next, it’s time to make the frosting. Mix the baking soda, citric acid and cornstarch in a bowl. Then add a couple of drops of your fruity fragrance and a couple of drops of (pink looks great), plus a few drops of coconut oil. Mix until you have a smooth paste. If it’s too thick add warm water in tiny amounts until you have the right consistency.
7) Use a spatula or a frosting piper to spread the frosting over the base soap that you made earlier. Be creative and make it in any shape you like.
8) Before it hardens you can add some bath crystals to look like sprinkles.
9) Leave to harden. The frosting should firm up within an hour or so. When it’s ready you will have your very own soap cupcake. You can even put it in a pretty cupcake case to make it look more realistic. If you do a few and put them into a decorative box, they make a really great birthday present for someone.
When you use them in the bath, the frosting part should fizz like a bath bomb, but the bottom part will be like normal soap so it will last longer. Enjoy! But please don’t try to eat them!